PARENT NOTE – October16, 2017
“If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
With Grandparents Day and Canadian Thanksgiving (yes, I celebrate both!) behind us, the end of First Quarter and CEA Convention ahead of us and the arrival of cooler weather, we are deep into 2017-18! The next event to focus on is Parent (Student) Teacher Conferences. We strongly encourage the attendance of students in Grades 3 – 8 at the Conferences. I will be talking to students ahead of time to help them understand their role in the Conference as we continue to challenge them to take ownership of their education. Teachers are sensitive to the fact that there may need to be some time to address issues with the student not present and they will provide for that. Students have seen their MAP Scores and had the opportunity to review their goals. We will be sending these scores to you later this week. SCHOOL NEWS
- Important Reminder: There is no school this Thursday and Friday, Oct. 19 & 20.
- Parent/Teacher Conferences are scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 9 from 2:00-4:30 and again from 5:30-8:30 p.m. Specific times are being scheduled for grades K-5. The Parent Teacher Conference Sign-Up Form was sent home with all K-5 students last week. Please fill out this form to let us know if you need a time slot before the supper break or after the supper break. If we do not receive a form back from you, we will assume any time is okay. If you only have a junior high student, you do not have to fill out this form. You may go to their classrooms any time on Nov. 9 between 1:00-4:30 or 5:30-8:30 p.m. If you cannot make a Thursday conference, please contact your child’s teacher to schedule one on a different day. Please return this form to the office by this Wednesday, Oct. 18.Junior high teachers will be available for conferences beginning at 1:00 p.m.
- Students in grades 3-8 should attend the conference with their parents.
- Apple Slice pick-up is tomorrow, Oct. 17 from 5:00-7:00 p.m. in the gym foyer.
- Picture re-take day is scheduled for Wed., Nov. 8. More information will be sent home in the following weeks.
- A nurse from the Indiana Department of Health will be coming to school tomorrow to look over all kindergarten and new student health records. If you have not turned in your child’s immunization record, please send it to school tomorrow. Records not turned in will be put on the non-compliant list.
- Next Thursday, Oct. 26 is sort night at etc for 5th grade from 6:00-8:00 p.m.
- Strack & Van Til Grocery gift card bonus rebate has changed to 3%.
- HELP! VOLUNTEERS NEEDED! We are looking for volunteers to help with putting together TRIP orders once a month and volunteers are needed to help with a new gift card store we are starting in November. If you are able to donate an hour or two of your time once a month contact Ann Lynch at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Wednesday, Oct. 18th TRIP orders (paper and online) are due with payment this by 10 a.m.
- Current Bonus Rebates (week of 10/16): Jewel – 5%; Express – 11%; Bath & Body Works – 17%; TGI Fridays – 9%.
- Next week’s Bonus Rebates (week of 10/23): Bed, Bath & Beyond -7% and JCPenney – 5%.
- Team C (Tina Hoeksema, April Vander Meyden, Laura McDonald, Amanda Porter) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Oct. 17th. Orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tues. at 2:45 p.m.
- TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team D Oct. 24; Team A – Oct. 31; Team B – Nov. 7; Team C – Nov. 14
- Mark your calendars now to plan to attend the Cadet Pancake Breakfast on Saturday, October 28, 7-10 am at New Life CRC (3010 Ridge Road, Highland, IN). What better way to start off a fall weekend than by satisfying your appetite with hot, fluffy pancakes & juicy sausages! Donations for the Cadet Club will be gladly received!
- Calling all volleyball fans! Illiana Christian High School is sponsoring a Junior High Night at its last regular season JV and Varsity girls’ volleyball matches this evening, October 16. Starting at 4 p.m., the first 50 7th and 8th grade students will receive a free T-shirt at the gate. Compete to win Illiana Spirit Wear in the serving competition between matches too!