Parent Note – April 3, 2023
PARENT NOTE – April 3, 2023
“Be a Blessing”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Welcome back! This morning it was such a blessing to see students hop out of cars and run with eager smiles to their friends and teachers. What a blessing it is to be a part of such a special Christian community.
This month is filled with many activities, much learning, and opportunities to engage with and in the HCS community. Here are some important highlights to put on your radar:
1. April is testing season. Mandated by the Indiana Department of Education, all 3rd – 8th grade students will participate in the ILEARN assessments. Over the coming (big) month, HCS students will complete a number of assessments to measure academic progress and gains in the realm of mathematics and reading. In addition to these tests, 4th-6th graders will participate in a science or social studies assessment. These assessments are not only important for measuring student growth during the year, but helps our staff understand how they can differentiate instruction to meet your child’s specific needs. Does this sound like Question #2 of PLC – how do we know they learned it? As we approach this assessment, please be sure to speak with your child about doing their best, ensure your child is at school by 8:15, and provide your child with a hearty breakfast.
2. In April, there are two special events that we don’t want you to miss! First, we hope to see you at HCS’ Auction on Friday, April 15 in the gym. We are hoping to raise funds for various projects around the school – including a new outdoor basketball court! The other big event we want to make sure you don’t miss is Fusion on April 29 – where we are welcoming world-renowned author Bob Goff to Bethel-Crown Point! I want to challenge our entire school community to attend this event and invite your friends, family, neighbors, and those from your church to attend! Thank you for helping us spread the word!
3. Leading up to Highland Christian’s Society Meeting on Monday, May 1, the Board is hosting two informational meetings about proposed changes to our constitution. These changes would update constitutional language, align policy with practice, and broaden requirements to be a teacher at Highland Christian. We hope to see you tonight (April 3) or Wednesday (April 5) at 6pm in the gym to learn more about these proposed changes.
God has blessed Highland Christian in an unmeasurable number of ways. Thank you for your continued support, as Highland Christian steadily works to achieve our vision to academically equip, Biblically ground, and spiritually nurture to impact the world for Christ! We are a better place because of you and your family!
Welcome Back! We hope all of you had a wonderful Spring Break! Important Reminder: This Wed., April 5 is a late start – school will begin at 10:00 on this day.
Everyone is invited to our Easter Chapel this Thursday at 8:40 in the school gym. Please join us as we rejoice in the finished work of our Savior! There is no school Good Friday, April 7.
The HCS Auction is next Saturday, April 15. This year’s auction is Live and Online.
• 5:00 – Doors open, kitchen opens, Silent Auction begins
• 5:30 – Live Auction begins
Online bidding starts next week at https://highlandchristian.org/give/auction/ and continues through the auction. Come join the fun!
CHOICE SCHOLARSHIP NEWS FOR 2023/2024
HCS is now accepting applications for IN CHOICE School Scholarships. You can find details at https://www.in.gov/doe/students/indiana-choice-scholarship-program/. AFTER you have completed your students’ enrollment contract for 23/24, please complete the form at https://forms.gle/RxMqKTDGsvjSqsey8. You will need to provide current proof of address and documentation of all income within your household for 2022. These are most commonly shown with a state ID/Driver’s License and the first page of your 2022 Federal 1040. Scholarship applications must be submitted by June 30, 2023 for funds to be applied to your first tuition billing in July. First time applicants will need to meet with Lisa to complete their application. Please contact Lisa with any questions or concerns at [email protected] or (219)838-0356 x 168.
Are you or someone you know interested in serving on the PTO board next year? PTO has the following positions that need to be filled: Vice President, Vice Clerk, Vice Food and Supply Coordinator, and Vice Secretary. Please email [email protected] for more information.
No TRIP orders due this week. TRIP will be accepting physical gift card orders on Apr. 13, 20, 27, May 11, 18, and 25. RaiseRight scrip ordering for an escrip and/or a reload card is available 24/7.
Zandstra’s Greenhouse gift certificates will be available to purchase the week of April 10th. Each certificate is $17 and there is a $3 bonus rebate. You may purchase Zandstra’s by contacting Ann Lynch at [email protected] or by ordering them on the weekly TRIP order. Please note: If you order these certificates online or on our weekly paper order form you will not be able to receive your certificates until the Tuesday after you place the order.
TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team A – Apr. 18; Team B – Apr. 25; Team C – May 2; Team D – May 16
Hot Lunch Calendar
Nothing from Thursday June 08, 2023 to Thursday June 15, 2023.